Justice Begins with Seeds
International Conference 2013
Aug. 2nd & 3rd
Plymouth Church, United Church of Christ 1217 Sixth Avenue, Seattle WA 98101 MAP
Seattle First Presbyterian Church, 1013 8th Avenue, Seattle WA 98104 MAP
Biosafety Alliance is pleased to announce
the 2013 Justice Begins with Seeds
Join food justice and NON-GMO food advocates for two days of plenaries, discussion groups and networking opportunities around SEEDS, SOIL, SOVEREIGNTY AND ACCOUNTABILITY. Get the tools you need to support the movement and advocate for NON GMO food!
This annual conference is the largest gathering in the US focused on educating and creating awareness about the implications of GMO seeds. As an international platform to share, learn and launch campaigns in support of a GMO FREE food supply, speakers from various backgrounds will examine GMO seeds’ relation to health, social justice, environment and corporate consolidation within local to global contexts.
Conference organizer, The Biosafety Alliance, is a cross-sector, multi-level and inter-ethnic alliance of people and organizations dedicated to NON GMO food.
For the 2013 edition, we are expecting food justice and non-GMO’s advocates from the US, India and Canada. We have confirmed:
• Vandana Shiva
• Wenonah Hauter
• Phil Bereano
• Armando Nieto
• Ann Lopez
• Devon Peña
• Ignacio Chapela
• Eric Holt-Gimenez
• Ignacio Chapela
• Jeffrey Smith
• George Kimbrell
• Dave Murphy
• Magdaleno Rose-Avila
• Theo Ferguson
• Patrick O’Connor
…among dozens more
Planning committee includes:
• Acequias Institute
• Agra Watch
• Biosafety Alliance
• California Food and Justice Coalition
• Center for Farm Worker Families
• Food Democracy Now
• Food First
• Navdanya Institute
• Organic Consumers Association
• South Central Farmers Cooperative
• Vital Systems
• Washington Biotechnology Action Council
The Biosafety Alliance is a cross-sector, multilevel and inter-ethnic alliance of individuals and organizations working together to conduct broader outreach around GMOs.
In 2011, the Biosafety Alliance organized the first conference:“Justice Begins with Seeds” (September 16th-17th), a conference and networking event that brought together a diverse group of 600 attendees and 60 panelists, all interested in advancing a sustainable food system, free of GMOs. Featured speakers included Vandana Shiva, Andrew Kimbrell (Center for Food Safety), Jeffrey Smith (Institute of Responsible Technology), Albert Strauss (Strauss Family Creamery), Mark Squire (Non-GMO project), among many others.
In 2012 Biosafety Alliance celebrate the international conference Justice Begins with Seeds with speakers from Kenia, Senegal, South Africa, India, Mexico Guatemala, UK among others.
For the 2013 edition we are expecting food justice and non-GMO’s advocates from Washington, Oregon, California and Vancouver Canada. We have confirmed Dr. Vandana Shiva as a keynote speaker. We have an steering committee formed by dozens of organizations, well know researchers, farmers and sustainable business.
During the past years, the success of the conference depended largely on the contribution of its sponsors; (Bear Creek Ranch, Veritable Vegetable, Rainbow Grocery, Bi Rite Grocery, Xanath Ice Cream, NUTIVE, Vital Systems, and individual donors).
We would be grateful if you helped sponsor the conference and an educational radio program. We are attaching a list of events organized by Biosafety Alliance in 2012.
• Showcase your organization at the conference – we’re expecting more than 1000 attendees this year!
• Become a leader in the campaign to stop GMOs and promote sustainable agriculture.
Please look at our sponsorship level:
• As a financial sponsor, you can showcase your company/organization and demonstrate your commitment to food justice, community accessible, healthy, and sustainable grown, topsoil-friendly food.
• You will demonstrate your leadership, advocacy and solidarity in the food justice movement.
• Your sponsorship will help underwrite conference expenses and make the conference accessible to all who wish to attend.
• In doing this, you will receive recognition in conference publications and in the conference web page and be acknowledged as a leader of the food justice movement and be invited to share your experiences during a panel related to sustainable business and social investment.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering during the 2013 Justice Begins with Seeds conference. Please complete form below.